Parents warning as 3-year-old swallows Peppa Pig watch
“Do not buy it”
Editor / February 05 2020
Queensland parents of 3-year-old Eadie have spoken out to warn others of the dangers of a Peppa Pig watch.
Clinton Byrne and wife Georgie posted a CT scan of little Eadie’s oesophagus showing part of the watch their 3-year-old had swallowed.
“Well, what an eventful night and day! Eadie finds a way to swallow the Peppa Pig whilst asleep from her watch,” he wrote.
“To anyone wanting to spend $15 on this watch from Target or Big W or eBay I say DO NOT BUY IT and it should be removed for sale immediately! It is for children 3 and over and clearly not safe! (sic).”
Clinton and wife Georgia were out at the Perth Fringe Festival when they received a call form their babysitter. She said Eadie had swallowed something and the distressed parents rushed home.
“Eadie said she was sucking on it … she was in her bed and I don’t know if she fell asleep with it and started coughing, which woke her up, of if she was awake when it happened,” said Georgie to The Courier Mail.
“I don’t think it would have happened if she was awake. With the size of the Peppa Pig head, I would have thought she would have spat it straight out if she was awake.
“She was probably asleep or half asleep.”
Eadie’s parents said that she didn’t usually wear the watch to bed and they are unsure what exactly happened.
She had an endoscopy to remove the Peppa Pig head on Monday.
“I didn’t realise how big the Peppa Pig head was. It was the size of a 10 cent piece,” Georgie said.
“The surgeons also said they could see the other metal parts further down and they’ll pass by themselves.”
The family are speaking out to warn others after their traumatic experience.
“Be extra vigilant when (little children) go to sleep that nothing is near them,” said Georgie.
“If they’re going to sell something that says it’s for ages three plus, they should make sure the clasps are secure,” she said.
Watch: Home pool safety check from Kidsafe