Mum finds deadly BROWN SNAKE in baby daughter's cot

She was absolutely petrified...

September 23 2018

A 'petrified' Gold Coast mum had the shock of her life when she discovered a brown snake in her baby's cot.

Alecia Mitchely saw the deadly venomous creature in her four-month-old little girl's bed just an hour after her daughter had been asleep in there.

She watched it slither around little Sophie's room, she told 9News, and then it found itself inside the cot where it lay on her daughter's cuddly toys. 


Channel Nine

Channel Nine


'It was petrifying, I was very scared. I didn't know what to do,' said Alecia who has two children.

'I'm trying to reach for my phone and trying to stop my son from trying to go see the was, yes, very scary'. 


Channel Nine

Channel Nine


Alecia said she was unprepared for how fast the snake moved,  'I couldn't believe it could climb. It was climbing on through the window, it was up on around her bassinet - uh, her cot, in her cot, it was all over,' she said.

The brown snake, is said to be the second most venomous snake in the world. It is only found in eastern Australia and is known to be aggressive and just one bite can cause paralysis and death within minutes. 

Snake catchers have warned the public that this is mating season for snakes so there are more around than usual.

'The males are on a mission to find a female and they'll travel out in the open - across roads, people's backyards and everything,' Gold Coast snake catcher Tony Harrison said.

He's warned the public to keep doors and windows locked to keep the snakes out of the house. 

Related tags

snake /

cot /

baby /