Indian boy, 3, survives after being impaled on huge metal rod


Content Editor / May 22 2019

A young Indian boy has miraculously survived after falling from a building onto a six-foot iron rod.

Nadeem, aged three, was playing on the third floor of a building when he fell and landed on the rod, which pierced through his thigh and abdomen.

An electrician working close by saw the incident occur and cut a portion of the rod from the child’s body.

The young boy was then rushed to King George Hospital nearby. Three hours later the rod had been extracted and after two weeks in hospital Nadeem was allowed to go home.

“Initially, we did not know which internal organs had been punctured by the rod, and as such pulling out the rod would have been detrimental to his life,” saud Dr Samir Mishra, who was part of the team who saved the toddler.

The rod passed just two centimetres away from his liver, but punctured his diaphragm and small intestine.

“We had to cut open his thigh and left abdominal side to remove the rod,” Dr Mishra said.

“Only during the surgery, it was noticed that the rod had passed just two centrimetres away from the liver, but the diaphragm was punctured and put a hole through the small intestine.

“As luck would have it, the rod entered his body in an angle missing the vital organs including the heart, before exiting from his upper back.”

Since the accident, Nadeem has recovered well and is back to normal.

Nicola Conville has worked as a journalist and editor for more than 20 years across a wide range of print and online publications. Her areas of expertise are parenting, health and travel. She has two children; Lucy, age eight, and Nathan, age five.