Samsung tablet BURNS through bed of boy, 11, as he slept

Warning for parents

Content Editor / June 25 2019

A young boy from the UK was lucky to escape unscathed when a tablet left on charge overnight burned through his bed and mattress as he slept.

The 11-year-old's Samsung device gradually smouldered throughout the night, leaving a hole in his bedding and mattress, and his room covered in a layer of black soot.

He only became aware of what had happened when he woke up and saw the damage. the Manchester Evening News reports.

Getty Images

Getty Images

The boys father went to the local fire station to report what had happened.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a warning following the incident urging people never to leave items to charge on potentially flammable surfaces.

A spokesman for the service said the tablet had been bought brand new four years ago, and had been connected to the original charger.

CSO and Firefighter Brad Robins, based at Lichfield Community Fire Station, said: "This family has been greatly shocked by what has happened and it serves as a stark reminder not to leave items charging on materials that could catch fire when hot.

"Always place phones and tablets on to a safe surface when charging.

"Make sure you buy genuine chargers for your items and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Mr Robins also urged people to check that their smoke alarms are in working order.

"Ensure that your smoke alarms are working correctly by testing them regularly," he said.

"This building did not have working smoke alarms which may have alerted the family to the incident earlier."

Nicola Conville has worked as a journalist and editor for more than 20 years across a wide range of print and online publications. Her areas of expertise are parenting, health and travel. She has two children; Lucy, age eight, and Nathan, age five.

Related tags

device /

fire /