WARNING TO MUMS: Aussie shopper is hospitalised after eating ALDI Easter chocolate

This is really worrying...

Editor / April 23 2019

A Melbourne woman with an allergy to milk spent her Easter in the hospital intensive care ward after eating an Easter bunny - but she says its packaging was "misleading".

Kaley Drummond was admitted to hospital just after midday on Easter Sunday after eating the ear of a chocolate bunny that she thought was dairy free.

The bunny was labelled as Dairy Fine but Kaley thought it read Dairy Free. She says the word fine was tricky to read and looked like Free. 

  

Dairy Fine bunny/Aldi

Dairy Fine bunny/Aldi

 

"I noticed straight away it didn’t taste like my normal chocolate," she said.

"I then turned the bunny around to see it said 'dairy fine' on the front, but it was very hard to see."

In a matter of minutes, Kayley got a dose of adrenalin from her epipen and an ambulance took her to hospital.

She spent the night in ICU as doctors gave her multiple doses of adrenaline to help reduce swelling in her throat.

 

Kayley Drummond

Kayley Drummond

 

'I'm still very unwell but I'm past my anaphylactic reaction and I'm very lucky that I did get through it," she said.

"It's one of my worst reactions."

CEO of Allergy and Anaphylaxis Australia, Maria Said, told 7NEWS.com.au the "dairy fine" label should be scrapped.

"We're not just talking about a rash here, we're talking about life or death," she said.

"If they do keep the 'dairy fine' brand, it's got to be in a clear, bold font legible on foil and cellophane.

"Thankfully she survived, but we've had many, many people make the same complaint.

"They (Aldi) don't want to wait for a fatality to finally make a change."

Although Kayley hasn't spoken to Aldi about the incident, she said she fully intends to.

"I’ll definitely be taking it further. Their packaging is very misleading and not clear."

A spokeswoman for the supermarket giant said it could not comment on the issue as it had not been reported to them.

However, if a health issue was brought to its attention, she said it would file a report to the food safety authority for a review.

Frances Sheen has been a magazine and website journalist & editor for the last 20 years - both in Australia and the UK. She's appeared on countless TV and radio shows to discuss parenting and launched her own social media parenting brand. She's the mum of two little girls and juggles that with a busy working life.

Related tags

Aldi /