Urgent warning: Put away your Woolworths Lion King Ooshies
Family pet required surgery.
Editor / October 07 2019
Families all over the country take note. Your kids favourite Woolworths Lion King Ooshies could be a real danger to your pets.
A vet is urging parents to put away any Ooshies that may be lying around after one was ingested by a dog and needed surgery.
Boyne Tannum Vet Surgery veterinarian Dr St Clair Hayes said it wasn’t out of the ordinary for a dog to eat something of that nature.
“Dogs do eat a variety of different things that can get stuck,” he said.
“It’s something that we see quite commonly, particularly in the younger dogs.”
The Ooshie became lodged in one of the dog’s intestines and caused a gastrointestinal obstruction, reported The Observer.
“The reason that I was worried with those particular toys is that they are popular at the moment and the popularity might be waning a little bit with the kids and they are going to leave them lying around,” Dr Hayes said.
“That particular toy that was a giveaway is now something quite expensive for that one particular client of ours.
“Pop them away and make sure that kids and dogs can’t get anywhere near them because potentially the same sort of thing could happen with a child if they were to eat one.”
Dr Hayes said other foreign objects to be kept away from dogs included corn cobs, macadamia nuts and mango seeds.
He advised if a dog had eaten something of that nature to call a vet.
Michelle Connolly has worked as a photo director, social media manager and photo editor at some of Australia's biggest media companies, including New Idea. She is now editor of Practical Parenting and loving mum-of-two.