Woman hospitalised after eating ALDI chocolate is BULLIED by trolls

Just days after leaving hospital she's had to face this...

April 29 2019

The young woman hospitalised after eating 'misleading' chocolate says she has been attacked by vicious trolls, but that won't deter her from raising awareness on the dangers of mis-labelling.

Kaley Drummond spent Easter Sunday in intensive care after eating chocolate labelled 'Dairy Fine' from Aldi.

Kaley is severely allergic to milk and nuts, and went into anaphylactic shock after eating an ALDI Easter Chocolate Bunny, thinking it was Dairy Free. She needed multiple doses of adrenaline to open her airways, and save her life.

She says she read the words on the wrapper of an Easter bunny as 'dairy free' since the foil was crumpled and the cursive font was hard to read.




But after her story hit the headlines, her email inbox was flooded with "hateful and nasty comments" with many accusing her of not taking her allergies seriously.

"The people who know me personally know how careful I am with my allergies," she told 7NEWS.com.au.

"I find it very interesting that people are attacking someone who made an honest and easy mistake that could’ve cost me or someone else their life.

"But I'm also glad it was me who copped the backlash because I'm strong enough to brush it off."

While Kaley isn't blaming ALDI for the mistake, she is keen to make sure that packaging and labels are easily read by shoppers like her.

"I want it to be clear that I’m not blaming Aldi for my mistake, but I do believe the packaging was easily mistaken," she said.

She says she contacted the supermarket giant and they had previously said they would be reported to the health safety authority once it was brought to their attention officially by Kaley.




Kaley revealed she was also contacted by the mum of a little girl who died last year after an anaphylactic shock after she ate a cookie.

Isabel Marrero died when she ate a Cadbury choc chip cookie last March, given to her by her mother Helen.

Helen says her family's regular brand of egg-free biscuits were on the shelf next to those containing the allergen.

Kaley said Helen had reached out to her in support, and she was touched by the words of kindness. 

"She also said she believes change will happen in time as long as what’s happened has been voiced.

"She told me 'be thankful you're still here' and to rest up," Kaley told 7NEWS.com.au


Related tags

Aldi /