Toddler strangled to death by teething necklace

Just awful

Content Editor / May 09 2019

The mother of an 18-month old lived every parent’s worst nightmare when she arrived at her son’s daycare to find paramedics trying to revive her son, Deacon.

Danielle Morin learned that her young son had been strangled to death by a teething necklace which a friend had given the family as a gift.

The amber teething necklace was purchased from Etsy and allegedly tightened around his neck while he napped at daycare.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Now, according to CBS2, Danielle Morin is suing Etsy, the online retailer where the teething necklace was purchased.

The necklace is meant to help little ones with teething pain but it is also reportedly supposed to have a release to prevent children from accidentally suffocating.

“[A] baby necklace should have a releasing safety clasp so if there's any pulling on it, it releases,” Danielle Morin’s attorney John Carpenter said.

“This one, that was purchased on, had a screw-on clasp that could not be released."

Getty Images

Getty Images

The terms of use on Etsy’s website state that responsibility lies with individual sellers.

“The items in our marketplaces are produced, listed, and sold directly by independent sellers so Etsy cannot and does not make any warranties about their quality, safety, or even their legality,” their statement reads.

However, Mr Carpenter claims that Ms Morin did not agree to these terms because she received the item as a gift.

Danielle says she hopes that the case will help raise awareness about the dangers of purchasing products from the internet, and that those products aren’t always safe.

“No parent should have to bury their child,” she said.

Nicola Conville has worked as a journalist and editor for more than 20 years across a wide range of print and online publications. Her areas of expertise are parenting, health and travel. She has two children; Lucy, age eight, and Nathan, age five.