Parents of baby who died after swallowing a battery say doctors REFUSED to x-ray her

They say this might have saved her life

November 12 2018

A baby who swallowed a button-sized battery and then died an incredibly painful death was denied an x-ray in hospital, according to her parents.

Isabella Rees died on February 4, 2015, and an inquest has now heard her mum took her to Melbourne's Sunshine Hospital three times in just two weeks to find out if something was stuck inside her.

But despite horrific symptoms including clots and vomiting blood, her parents claim the doctors told them that whatever was inside her just needed to pass through.

Mrs Rees' husband Robert also told doctors the first time they went to the emergency room on January 16, 2015 he had seen the baby holding a double-A battery at their Taylor's Hill home.


Bella's Footprints - Button Battery Awareness/Facebook

Bella's Footprints - Button Battery Awareness/Facebook


On the first day of the coronial inquest into Bella's death, her mum said that despite mounting evidence that Bella had swallowed the battery, hospital staff were reluctant to talk about it. The Rees family say they knew nothing about the the impact swallowing a button battery could have on their child.

Bella's mother claimed the reason she wanted an inquest opened into her daughter's death was not to place blame on the hospital, but to raise awareness about the terrible effect small batteries can have if they are swallowed. 

She added in court that they also told her it was not hospital policy to x-ray a small child unless it could be proven they had swallowed something that could endanger them.


Generic button battery/Getty

Generic button battery/Getty


In a tribuee online, just after her death, Bella's family wrote a heartfelt message to her saying,  Well you were only here for a little while but every day was a gift for us to have a special little princess like you. What we would give to have another chance to hear your voice, to feel your kiss and to see you grow. Our hearts are broken. We love you Bella. You will always be our little Angel. Love Mum, Dad and Lockie.

The family have also launched a Facebook page, desperately trying to show the terrible impact button batteries can have on a child's body.

Related tags