More new developments in case of missing child William Tyrrell
Team changes ahead of inquest
Content Editor / March 01 2019
Yesterday it was reported that there would be changes in the team investigating the disappearance of William Tyrrell.
Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin, who worked on Strikeforce Roseann for four years, has been taken off the case while he is being investigated over allegations of misconduct.
He denies all wrongdoing and has continued to work at police headquarters since the internal inquiry began earlier this year.
But police command has now put their most senior homicide investigator in charge - Detective Chief Inspector David Laidlaw.
"We have to ensure the inquest gets started," Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith said.
"We can't have an allegation of misconduct and not deal with it. We need to let that work its course and we also need to not derail the matter."
Detective Inspector Jubelin was in charge of the strike force and also the 15,000 pieces of evidence amassed by the investigation.
"There were 30 people who worked on this job and I also need to worry about the welfare of those people," assistant commissioner Smith said.
"They have put thousands of hours into this investigation and really now it's a matter for the coroner."
The little boy went missing in September 2014 while playing in his grandmother's front yard at Kendall, on NSW's mid-north coast. He was just three years old at the time.
The long-awaited coronial inquest into William's disappearance begins on March 25.
Nicola Conville has worked as a journalist and editor for more than 20 years across a wide range of print and online publications. Her areas of expertise are parenting, health and travel. She has two children; Lucy, age eight, and Nathan, age five.