“My long hair almost killed my baby”

Mum has warning for all parents

Content Editor / November 20 2018

It’s a familiar story – we feel exhausted at the end of the day and relent and let our little one’s sleep in our bed so everyone can get some rest.

However, for mum-of-two Caitlin Henderson it nearly ended in disaster when she hopped into bed with her 19-month-old one night.

“I decided I could share some bed space if it meant a better night’s sleep for the both of us, especially since she’s cutting all four molars, meaning sleep has been a sweet fantasy at our house lately,” she shared with Cafemom.

When she woke in the morning, she started to roll out of bed but felt her head jerk back, and she initially thought her daughter was lying on her hair.

“I cranked my neck around and was absolutely shocked at what I saw. My hair was completely wrapped around her neck, and it was wrapped tight,” she said. “I pulled and pulled and it just seemed to get tighter.”

Caitlin yelled loud enough to wake her three-year-old, who switched on the light.

“I tried to get my fingers between my hair and her neck, but it was too tight. I couldn’t see her face, but she was barely fighting me, and I knew she probably wasn’t getting enough air.

“I was getting ready to call 9-1-1, picturing paramedics breaking down my door because there was no way I could get up to unlock it”

In desperation, Caitlin tore a huge chunk of her hair out, then pulled her daughter close as they both cried.

“I was in absolute shock,” she shared. “She is 19 months old; I thought we were to the age that I didn’t have to worry about things like this.

“I never would have dreamed something like this could happen... but if I can save one parent from going through it, telling my story is worth it. So, from one mother who learned the hard way the unexpected dangers long hair can pose, please be careful and aware.”

Related tags