Following reports warning parents about mould growing inside popular teething doll Sophie The Giraffe, the company has released a guide on how to care for her properly.
Last month multiple parents shared pictures online showing their Sophie The Giraffe teething toy cut in half and full of mould.
Paediatric dentist, Dana Chianese told Good Housekeeping that she noticed a musty smell inside Sophie The Giraffe while trying to clean it.
"I decided to cut into Sophie out of curiosity and discovered a science experiment living inside," Chianese told the publication. "Smelly, ugly mould living in my infant's favourite chew toy!"
An info graph (pictured above) shared on the Sophie The Giraffe Facebook page explains the toy is made from 100 per cent natural rubber, “hence it is important to care for her properly.”
Tips on caring for the teething toy properly
- Do not boil
- Do not sterilise
- Do no soak
How to clean Sophie The Giraffe?
According to the manufacturer, simply wipe with a damp cloth.
As the toy spends a lot of time inside a toddler’s mouth, some have wondered if baby saliva could cause mould?
“It is unlikely that the mould growing inside Sophie is coming from saliva since it’s known that saliva is acidic and contains several enzymes like amylase, pepsin, lipase that play a role in breaking down food particles.
“In addition saliva contains antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal enzymes that kill bacteria, microbes and fungus.
“The mould inside Sophie comes from submerging and washing Sophie with water and not from saliva.”