Baby boy chokes to death on pine cone at his daycare

This is so tragic

Writer / May 31 2019

A 10-month-old boy allegedly choked on a pine cone while he played outside at his daycare and tragically died, according to news reports.

Areon Ellington was dropped off at the A Hug A Day Daycare, which is run out of a private home in Raleigh, USA on Wednesday morning by his grandma, Helena Harris.

A few hours later, Helena says she received a horrific phone call to say he had died.


A Hug A Day Daycare/Google Maps

A Hug A Day Daycare/Google Maps


“The daycare lady called me and told me that I needed to get to the daycare because Areon was choking on something,” Areon's grandmother told WRAL adding that she is heartbroken and wants answers to many questions.

"He was my heart, my heart. He was our get up and go," she said. "He was, through our struggles, what was bonding us together."

The operating license for home daycare has how been suspended, pending an investigation.

One of the baby’s family members told ABC 11 that Areon “had a piece of pine cone in his mouth and it block his air passage.”

The Department of Health and Human Services released this statement.

"It's a tragedy any time a child dies. Our hearts go out to the family. The Division of Child Development and Early Education is aware of the fatality at A Hug A Day Care and is considering next steps. By law, we cannot comment on investigations."

Nikki is obsessed with all things celebrity and dreams she is a long-lost Kardashian. You'll find her binging Netflix's latest 'must-watch' show with a jar of Nutella by her side.