Boy, three, dies after falling into vat of cooking oil

Just heartbreaking

July 26 2019

A 3-year-old boy was killed on Monday when he fell into a grease trap behind a Tim Hortons restaurant in upstate New York, authorities said.

The toddler walked over the trap — which resembles a manhole cover and tops the vat where used cooking oil is collected — behind a Tim Hortons in Rochester at about 11 a.m. ET, police said.

When first responders arrived, the boy had been pulled out and was on his back with an adult performing CPR, police said.




The child was rushed to Strong Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead at noon.

"Our hearts go out to the family of this child who had to suffer this unimaginable tragedy," Rochester police Investigator Rick Camp said.

This story originally appeared on

Related tags

death /